Mentors sought for Teledyne e2v schools' engineering challenge
Are you able to help for 5 evenings in Nov and Dec 2019?
Teledyne e2v (Te2v) and CSES are launching an engineering challenge that will see local schools working with Te2v apprentices and CSES volunteers to develop prototype solutions to real engineering problems faced by Te2v production staff.
This will be a pilot scheme which, if successful, will be run annually. We are starting with a small number of local schools and need CSES volunteers to help the apprentices to mentor the student teams.
Can you help? Remember that any time spent volunteering counts as Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The scheme dates are as follows:
- Launch session at Te2v in Chelmsford in week commencing 21 October (mentor attendance optional)
- After-school session in week commencing 4 November
- After-school session in week commencing 11 November
- After-school session in week commencing 18 November
- After-school session in week commencing 25 November
- After-school session in week commencing 2 December
- Final session at Te2v in Chelmsford in week commencing 9 December (mentor attendance optional)
You would be required to support the five after-school sessions, each lasting approximately two hours, in the weeks indicated above. Exact dates are subject to agreement with the schools and are at mutual convenience. The schools are likely to be located in the Chelmsford, Brentwood and Hockley areas.
General engineering / technical knowledge will be required to successfully mentor the students, who will be working in teams of (approximately) four. Prior knowledge of Te2v products and processes is NOT required, and full project briefs will be provided. This poster/flyer has more information.
The project work will also be presented at the CSES Schools' Engineering and Technology Competition in 2020.
If possible, we will assign more than one mentor to each school (from the available CSES volunteers and Te2v apprentices) so that cover can be provided if you are unable to make one of the sessions.
Interested? Please contact us ASAP to register your interest. We will aim to have all dates agreed and mentors in place by early October 2019.
We look forward to hearing from you!