Building the Wireless Age: A Unique Marconi Exhibition
Hall Street, Open 11 March to 29 May 2016, every Saturday and Sunday 11am-3pm, FREE ENTRY
To celebrate the history and legacy of Marconi and the Marconi Company in Chelmsford, a free commemorative event entitled Marconi: Building the Wireless Age will be hosted over a period of three months in the original Grade II listed Marconi Factory in Hall Street prior to its conversion into residential and commercial units.
CSES will be running hands-on Science and Engineering activities and a series of talks have been organised (pre-booking is required).
Archival material from a variety of sources will be showcased, in many cases for the first time. Contributors include The International Marconi Museum in Bologna, The Museum of the History of Science, Oxford, the Essex Records Office, Chelmsford Museums and several private collections. Local families with their own small collections of Marconi-related memorabilia have also contributed.
Full details can be found on our events page.
Please also see our events pages for individual talks and activities:
- Fri 11 March: Official opening with Tony Appleton, Town Crier
- Fri 18 March: Building The Wireless Age with Tim Wander
- Fri 25 March: The BBC and Me and my life behind the Mike with Dave Monk
- Fri 1 April: All at Sea: The Exciting Story of Offshore Radio with Ray Clark
- Tue 5 April: Marconi in Chelmsford with Tim Wander
- Thu 14 April: The Role of the Wireless in the Titanic Tragedy with Tim Maltin
- Fri 22 April: The Use of Wireless at the Battle of Jutland with Dr Elizabeth Bruton
- Fri 29 April: Brunel: The Untold Story with Peter Maggs
- Thu 5 May: Engineering Our Future with Professor Danielle George
- Thu 5 May: Marconi and the Invisible Universe with Professor Danielle George
- Fri 6 May: The Story of Marconi's Steam Yacht 'Elettra' with Peter Watkins
- Sat 7 – Sun 8 May: Big BBC Weekend with BBC Essex
- Fri 13 May: All at Sea with Ray Clark (second date added by popular demand)
- Sat 14 – Sun 15 May: Come and make a radio with CSES
- Fri 20 May: Amazing Ada: The Countess of Computers with Heidi Hards
- Fri 27 May: Riding the Radio Waves with Jane Humhpreys
CSES is proud to support Marconi Science WorX: Chelmsford Civic Society in collaboration with BBC Essex.