The photos from our 2017 Competition and Awards Evening are available on our Flickr Stream. The slideshows are embedded below.
Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society is keen to support schools and students who are interested in Engineering and Science activities. We are a key provider and coordinator of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) activities, mentoring and financial support in the Chelmsford area.
We offer an annual programme of events for local schools to promote STEM subjects. Our main regular events for schools are:
- Engineering and Technology Competition: an annual event at which students from local schools showcase their work and compete for prizes awarded by the judges.
- Engineering Our Future: themed events focusing on a particular topic, with a series of talks and the opportunity to meet with local technology companies.
- My Smarter Essex: an initiative to engage citizens in the design of a smarter future Essex, with events targeted at school students and teachers.
Support for STEM activities
CSES actively promotes, enables and supports the provision of STEM in education, particularly in an extra-curricular context. To this end, we have made available a bursary to support the start-up and growth of STEM clubs within schools.
We operate in partnership with other local providers of STEM support, including Essex County Council and Anglia Ruskin University. If you would like to discuss options for STEM support in your school, please contact the STEM Outreach Officer.
Further information and opportunities
Our website also includes further ideas for STEM opportunities:
- For your school: information about activities for students and teachers alike.
- For your year group: examples of opportunities for people in your school year.
- STEM links: useful links to regional and national STEM organisations.
- Your stories: other peoples' experiences and reflections on STEM opportunities.
If you would like to get in touch with us about any school-related matters not covered above, please contact the STEM Outreach Officer.
On Saturday 25 February, King Edward VI Grammar School (KEGS) Young Engineers team 'Illuminatus', all in year 8, embarked on a journey to the First Lego League (FLL) National Finals at the University of Western England in Bristol. It was a great experience and we all gained something from it.
Thank you to Chelmsford Engineering Society for awarding us a STEM Club Bursary which helped us to continue with this competition and go to Bristol. Below, some of the team members have given their own accounts of the event and what they have learned from it.
Congratulations to team Illuminatus, who went on to win the Design Execution award at the 2017 Schools' Competition.
IET Faraday Challenge Day 2018 organised by CSES at Anglia Ruskin University
Following the success of last year's Faraday Challenge, we plan to organise another great IET Challenge Day at Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) in 2018.
We are offering schools the opportunity to register early for this exciting IET event in 2018.
We propose the following dates in 2018:
- Tuesday 9 January
- Wednesday 10 January
- Tuesday 23 January
- Wednesday 24 January
This is a fun learning experience for all, and if you're not familiar with the format we'd encourage you to check out the IET website.
In LEGO club we use LEGO to practise STEM skills. We have used LEGO to make boats that float, make bridges that hold at least 2 kg, create models to design specifications and learn basic coding. Our favourite challenge was to design and make a device to send a LEGO figure down a zip line. We also enjoyed building tall towers and figuring out ways to make them stable. We were happy to receive the bursary and hope to use it to get some technical LEGO and power functions so we can build moving models.
— Daniel, Christopher, Maya and Tom (10 years old)
CSES awarded a bursary of £100 to Frinton-on-Sea Primary School in January 2017, followed by the STEM Club Award at the 2017 Schools' Competition.
Congratulations to everyone who won an award at the 2017 Schools' Competition, which took place on Wednesday 28 June 2017 at Anglia Ruskin University.
More Articles ...
- Local schools participate in Faraday Challenge
- Press release: Local schools to take part in UK engineering challenge
- Now open: 2017 Schools' Competition and Big Bang Eastern
- Thurstable School EPQ
- Save the date for the 2017 Schools' Competition and Big Bang Eastern
- Greensward Academy
- Schools' Competition 2016: The Photos
- CVHS STEM Club
- KEGS YE Club: VEX Robotics
- Tendring's sumo wrestling robot